The City of Kitchener has consolidated its maintenance operations into a former Michelin tire plant.
The facility, which now features a solar roof, geo-thermal heat recovery and low-flow fixtures. Road and park maintenance, water and sewer work, fleet repair and snow clearing operations — formerly spread over five sites — now operate from a single 45-acre location. The city’s corporate call centre, stockrooms, salt and bulk material storage and greenhouses — and a total of 450 employees — have also moved to the site.
The environmental and economic benefits include:
- Saves $350,000 per year through lower energy costs and efficiency improvements
- Offsets 137 tonnes of GHG emissions per year by energy generation from solar roof
- Reduces energy use by 50 percent, compared with a standard building
- Single facility creates efficiencies in work scheduling and equipment use
- Provides a more comfortable, safer workplace
- Delivery of city services from a single site is faster and more efficient