The Municipalities ACT (MACT) Network is coherent group of like-minded municipal elected officials from Ontario municipalities focused on supporting/enabling municipal climate action initiatives.
The Network focuses on:
- sharing experiences
- addressing challenges
- increasing the transferability of climate actions across municipalities
- mentoring additional network participants
- advocating to other orders of government
in order to increase the ability Ontario municipalities to implement climate change actions. The Municipalities ACT network is directed by Network members and facilitated via secretariat support from Clean Air Partnership (CAP).
The Municipalities ACT Network is a forum for elected officials to network and share experiences and learn from each other’s experiences in order to build a consistent approach to advancing priority climate goals and actions across the GTHA region. It also serves to build a consistent approach and ensure strength in numbers to advance provincial and federal policies and actions that are necessary to enable municipal climate action implementation.
The Municipalities ACT network ensures that it works in partnership with other networks and addresses gaps rather than duplicating the role and function of complimentary networks.
Priority Action Areas for the Network include (but are not limited to):
- Retrofitting of Existing Building
- Active Transportation/Complete Streets/Vision Zero Plans/Policies/Actions
- Transition to Net Zero Emission Buildings though the use of Municipal Green Development Standards; advocating for improvements to Building Codes; and other actions that increase developer uptake of Net Zero Carbon Buildings.
- Urban Forestry and Green Infrastructure Plans and Projects
- Corporate and Community Electric Vehicle Strategies
- Climate Resilience/Adaptation Plan Development and Implementation
- Climate Lens Application and Municipal Plan Alignment
If you are an elected municipal Climate Champion and would like more information on the MACT Network please contact Gabriella at firstname.lastname@example.org
The MACT network has been working with the national Climate Caucus to support their recommendations to the federal government as well as sending their recommendations for a More Resilient Post COVID-19 Ontario to provincial decision makers.